Dispute Resolution Experience
Jeff has over 20 years of experience successfully resolving contentious disputes across the country. Jeff has experienced mediation from all perspectives in dozens of states. He has been the lawyer representing clients during mediations. He has been the client representative as the plaintiff in several mediations. And Jeff has been the client representative as the defendant in over 100 mediations. Jeff has also served as the mediator and helped resolve difficult disputes.
Jeff’s experience handling mediations includes personal injury claims, consumer disputes, employee conflicts, product liability, breach of contract, corporate disputes, construction matters, securities litigation and disputes involving government entities including the Department of Justice and state Attorneys General.
From his vast experience in all aspects of dispute resolution, Jeff understands the value of resolving disputes before trial. Jeff is a member of the Association of Missouri Mediators and is on the approved list of outside mediators for the Mediation and Assessment Program for the United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri. He is also a member of the American Bar Association Section of Dispute Resolution.
Corporate Counsel Experience
Prior to starting his own legal consulting and dispute resolution practice in late 2017, Jeff practiced at two respected private law firms in Kansas City and spent nearly 10 years in various in-house counsel roles at Boston Scientific Corporation. While at Boston Scientific, Jeff provided critical legal and business advice to numerous business units and corporate functions including the company’s regulatory, quality assurance, corporate communications, risk management and marketing departments.
Jeff has been a leader in the e-discovery field and has experience guiding companies through tricky e-discovery issues. He built Boston Scientific’s discovery team from the ground up by recruiting, hiring, and retaining top talent and supervised a team of up to 13 legal professionals in the Legal Department. He was instrumental in developing the e-discovery procedures as well as insourcing e-discovery software solutions.
In addition to the corporate advisory work, Jeff successfully managed multi-district litigations involving thousands of personal injury lawsuits and thousands of other cases in state court coordinated proceedings across the country. In his role as Chief Litigation Officer, Jeff developed and implemented innovative litigation strategies leading to the dismissal of hundreds of personal injury product liability lawsuits. He also developed the strategies which resulted in the dismissal of numerous securities-related lawsuits against Boston Scientific.
Additionally, he is adept at guiding companies through investigations by government entities. He developed and implemented the strategies which resulted in no action by or payments to the investigating government entities in several investigations by the Department of Justice, the Securities Exchange Commission and other federal government agencies. He also developed the strategies which resulted in the dismissal of numerous securities-related lawsuits against Boston Scientific.
Prior to joining Boston Scientific, Jeff spent 11 years at the largest Kansas City-based law firm. Jeff served as counsel to global manufacturers of pharmaceutical, medical device, and personal care products in matters locally and across the country. He successfully argued and won the dismissal of high-profile cases defending corporate clients in the pharmaceutical, vaccine, and medical device manufacturing business. While at this law firm, Jeff also gained his first experience with mediation and resolving hundreds of matters in numerous states.
- The Missouri Bar
- United States District Court for the Western District of Missouri
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
MEMBERSHIPS & ACTIVITIES:
- Association of Missouri Mediators
- American Bar Association
- Dispute Resolution Section
- Litigation Section – Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- Defense Research Institute
- Founding Member of the In-House Counsel Break-Out Session of the Annual Drug & Medical Device Seminar
- Defense of Government Actions Specialized Litigation Group
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel
- Amicus and Public Policy Committee
- CLE Committee
- Corporate Counsel Committee
- Website/Social Media Committee
- Products Liability Section
- Drug, Device & Biotechnology Section
- Class Action and Multidistrict Litigation Section
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- eDiscovery Committee
- Missouri Bar Association
- Biotech and Life Sciences Law Committee
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- Lawyers Association of Kansas City
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:
- Global Winning Spirit Award, Product Acquisition Project, April 2015.
- Value Improvement Award for Law Firm Budgeting Project, April 2015.
- Team Leader for 11 Legal Department Value Improvement Awards in December 2014.
- LMG Life Sciences, Product Liability In-House Team of the Year – 2014.
- LMG Life Sciences, Product Liability Impact Case of the Year for Late Stent Thrombosis Litigation – 2014.
- Global Value Improvement Programs Gold and Platinum Awards In Recognition for Outstanding Leadership, Legal Document Review RFP – 2010.
- Global Value Improvement Programs Gold and Platinum Awards In Recognition for Outstanding Leadership, E-Discovery Flat Fee Project – 2009.
- “A Day in the Life of In-House Counsel: Managing Legal Issues and Meeting the Expectations of Multiple Internal Clients,” FDCC Corporate Counsel Symposium (September 2017).
- “Is the Practice of Law Really Changing?” FDCC Corporate Counsel Symposium (September 2016).
- Contributor: “Chapter 5: Settlements and Remands to Transferor Courts,” MDL Standards and Best Practices, published by the Duke Law Center for Judicial Studies (2014).
- “Medical Device Liability: Claims and Defenses,” in Young Lawyers Form Book, published by Defense Research Institute (2002).
- “Substantive Equal Protection Analysis Under State v. Russell and the Potential Impact on the Criminal Justice System,” 50 Washington & Lee Law Review 1791 (1993).
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (Corporate Counsel Symposium), “A Day in the Life of In-House Counsel,” September 18, 2017, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers 32nd Annual Meeting, Moderator: “The Insiders’ Perspective,” June 2017, Branson, Missouri.
- American Bar Association, Environmental & Energy, Mass Torts, and Products Liability Litigation Committees’ Joint CLE Seminar, Moderator: “Internal Investigations: The Pitfalls and Traps to Watch Out for When Counsel is Asked to Investigate Product Failures or Client Incidents,” January 27, 2017, Squaw Valley, California.
- National eDiscovery Leadership Institute, “Third Party Subpoenas,” October 2016, Kansas City, Missouri.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (Corporate Counsel Symposium), “An Inside Look Ahead – Corporate Counsel Roundtable,” September 2016, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel (Drug, Device and Biotechnology; Trial Tactics, Practice and Procedures; and Products Liability Committees), “Persuading Each and Every Juror – Translating Technical and Complex Concepts for Every Juror of Every Age,” July 2016, La Malbaie, Quebec.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, “Tackling the Tough Issues in 30(b)(6) Depositions,” March 26, 2015, Webinar.
- H.B. Conferences — Drug & Device Defense: Emerging Litigation & Regulatory Developments Conference – “Pitfalls Surrounding Sales Representatives in the Field,” October 22, 2014, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- National eDiscovery Leadership Institute, “In-House Panel,” Discussing the Most Pressing eDiscovery Issues Affecting Their Businesses, October 14, 2014, Kansas City, Missouri.
- Duke Law, Multi-District Litigation Best Practices Conference, “Settlements and Remands to Transferor Courts,” September 12, 2014, Arlington, Virginia.
- Defense Research Institute, Drug & Medical Device Seminar, “In-House Counsel Breakout Session, May 15, 2014, Washington, D.C.
- Defense Research Institute, Drug & Medical Device Seminar, “In-House Counsel Breakout Session, May 16, 2013, New York, New York.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, Annual Meeting, “Drug, Device and Biotechnology: Preemption in Medical Device Litigation: What Has Changed,” March 7, 2013, San Antonio, Texas.
- American Bar Association, Current Issues in Pharmaceutical & Medical Device, Host for the conference and Panelist – “Pre-Litigation Risk Assessments” November 16, 2012, Natick, Massachusetts.
- Defense Research Institute, Drug & Medical Device Seminar, “In-House Counsel Breakout Session, May 10, 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, 2011 Corporate Counsel Symposium, “Back to the Future – Corporate Counsel’s Role in Managing Risk in 2012 and Beyond – What to Do When the Government Comes Knocking,” September 21, 2011, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- American Bar Association, 8th Annual Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Workshop, “Handling Product Recalls and Withdrawals,” November 11, 2011, New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel, 2010 Corporate Counsel Symposium, “Protecting the Company in Challenging Times: Best Practices for In-House Counsel Who Manage Corporate Risk and Litigation –Risk Mitigation Strategies for the Legal Department,” September 22, 2010, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- American Conference Institute, Third Annual Forum on Reducing Legal Costs, “Best Practices for Reducing Discovery Costs,” November 19, 2009, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- “You’ve Got Mail – Service of Process by Mail is Satisfactory under the Hague
- Service Convention,” May 30, 2017
- “Federal Judge Clobbers Claims in a Class III Medical Device Case,” May 22, 2017
- “Indiana Judge Relies on Bausch to Bounce Preemption Motion,” May 15, 2017
- “Court Muzzles Counsel: Says Defendants Cannot Ask Plaintiffs if Their
- Attorneys Referred Them to Treating Physicians,” April 27, 2017
- “Federal Judges Blow Their Stacks Over Boilerplate Objections,” March 27, 2017
- “Jury Verdicts in the Kansas City Area are Little Changed from Last Year: Greater Kansas City Jury Verdict Service Shows That 2016 and 2015 Were Nearly the Same in Many Respects,” February 9, 2017
- “Mere Designation of an Expert Witness Does Not Waive the Work Product Doctrine Protections,”
November 2, 2016
- “FDA Launches Webpage Allowing Anonymous Reports of Regulatory Misconduct Regarding Medical Devices,”
October 25, 2016
- “DWI in Missouri Is ‘Irresponsible’ but Not a Crime of Moral Turpitude,”November 19, 2015
- “Forget the Pitchers – The H.E.A.T. Team Brought the Real Heat in October,” November 10, 2015
- “FDA’s New Draft Guidance Concerning Animal Studies for Medical Devices Makes ‘Strong’ Recommendations,”
October 22, 2015